Friday, December 17, 2010

CHALLAH!

So its Friday and this week I only have to make food for lunch tomorrow, tonight we've been invited out (I'll blog about what she made tomorrow night). I'll worry about lunch later but this morning I really have to get my act in gear and make the Challah. Last week I completely forgot, I couldn't believe it. This week I'm starting early so I don't forget, I really love my Challah.

I have a bread maker,I recommend one for the avid challah maker. Don't think that's cheating, you still get to take credit for the recipe and the braiding later, you just won't get those fab arms bakers get. If you don't have a bread maker or kitchen aid, knead by hand (it's apparently very spiritual, especially if you are praying for someone - more on that later)and build those muscles!

Here is the Recipe: Put these in the bread maker in order.
(for those watching their sugar)
1/2 cup hot and 1/2 cup room temp water
2 Tbs Sugar (or Slenda)
1 Tbs Honey (or agave nectar)
2 tsp Yeast
3 1/2 cups Flour (3 cups whole wheat and 1/2 cup gluten)
1 Jumbo Egg
1 tsp table salt (I rarely use kosher salt to bake, but I did this week)
3 Tbs Margarine
Set on your Dough setting on the bread maker and GO.
When your machine says its done, take the dough out and braid (see video).

Turn oven on to 200 and place braided Challah on a cookie sheet covered loosely with plastic wrap on the stove. Let rise for 15 Min's. Turn oven up to 350 and take out another egg to get to room temp for egg wash, let challah rise for another 15min while oven gets to temp.
Bake for 15 mins and brush with egg wash (egg and a splash of water and a squish of honey well combined) and bake for another 10 mins, let cool on racks. Yummy for Shabbat, recipe will make 2, 1 lb Challahs. I sometimes make them a little smaller and make a roll if I'm haveing both meals at home. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment